Sheet Metal Fabrication Sunshine Coast
Sheet metal fabrication is an umbrella term for the process of forming flat metal sheets into different shapes through a variety of manufacturing methods. It often uses techniques like cutting, bending, and joining to create almost anything from metal.
What sheet metal fabrication is used for?
Sheet metal can be turned into almost any metal product, so it is commonly used across a wide range of products and industries. Although metal products are used almost everywhere in every industry, some that especially rely on metalwork services and fabrication include:
- Consumer Goods
- Robotics and engineering
Metal fabrication services are an extremely popular way of developing products and materials. Metal can be used for almost everything like mechanical components, automotive bodies, housings, gears and containers. Sheet metal is especially flexible and can be used for a variety of design and service needs. It comes in a variety of surface finishes and metal types and can be used for single custom metal prototypes, or large quantities of production.
Turnweld Engineering is the Metal machining on the Sunshine Coast one stop shop. Above all Turnweld Engineering have the capabilities to cut, fold, bend, machine and weld almost any material for any job.
Turnweld Engineering is still manufacturing our TW trawl blocks that are proven to withstand the harsh seas for any trawl operator, from 8″ to 16″ there is a trawl block and snap side ready to be made to order, also introducing a complete stainless steel version.
As a result we are one of the last Jobbing workshops around, we certainly take pride in all our work and love to venture into new challenges for Metal fabrication and machining and repairs on the sunshine coast. Dont forget we run out mobile workshop if your in need.
Types of Metal Fabrication Processes and Techniques
Metal and steel fabrication can be done in a wide range of ways, but the most popular and common ones for creating metal products include forming, cutting, and joining. A few of those methods are outlined below:
Forming takes the flat sheet and reshapes it using contours and folding methods. There are four ways this is commonly done:
- Stamping - using shapes or dies to press into the sheetmetal to make a design or form.
- Bending - using machines or hand pressing
- Stretching - there are a variety of techniques like a stretcher, hammer and dolly or Enligsh wheel that can be used to make the metal thinner and increase its surface area
- Roll Forming - like bending, but using rollers to create a round shape rather than a crease or bend.
Cutting is a common part of the metal manufacturers' process and can be done in a wide range of ways. The two overarching categories of cutting sheet metal involve shear cutting, which is commonly used for nonindustrial products, or non-shear cutting which has more precision and accuracy but requires more time and resources.
- Basic Cutting - a single blade goes through the metal
- Blanking - similar to a hole punch to cut out a shape
- Shearing - also known as die cutting and almost like using metal scissors with blades that move together (one blade remains stationary while the other causes the cutting motion)
- Laser Cutting - using a high powered optical light beam
- Plasma - using an accelerated jet of hot plasma (used only on electrically conductive materials like steel, aluminum, brass, and copper)
- Waterjet Cutting - using an extremely high-pressure jet of water, or abrasive liquid substance, that cuts through metal
- Machining - using tools like drills or blades to cut pieces off the metal
Joining metal together through a variety of techniques like welding is a crucial part of the steel fabrication process. It can be done for either temporary or permanent measures, and in a number of ways depending on what the project needs. Types of joints include:
- Rivet and screw joints
- Welding - using high heat to melt parts of metal together
- Brazing - using filler metal to join the two parts, rather than melting the actual base metal like welding
- Adhesive bonding - using layers of chemical products like SU-8 and benzocyclobutene to join parts together
Types of Fabrication Metals
Sheetmetal products can be manufactured from a variety of different metal types and sizes. The most common types include steel, aluminium, magnesium, brass, bronze and copper.
Steel and aluminum are usually the most popular for fabrication jobs, but the other types are used for various other applications. Steel is the most ideal when something prioritizes the need for durability and strength. Aluminum is more lightweight but still comes with a lot of durability and strength like steel.
Things We Make And Repair:
Turnweld Sheet Metal Fabrication
Contact our friendly and professional team today to find out how we can help with all your metalwork needs. We have over 20 years experience providing high quality metal services to the Sunshine Coast, where we are based, and beyond.
Our team are experts at a huge range of metal processes and can build virtually any design or product a manufacturer or business could need. Through our years of experience and high quality work, we have built a name and reputation as the best market leaders in the business. We build strong relationships with our clients and quality is something we value in every aspect of our work.
Contact us today to speak with one of our friendly staff to find out how our range of custom metal fabrication services can help you.